The federal McKinney-Vento “Education of Homeless Children and Youth Program” was developed to ensure that children and youth in homeless situations have equal access to the same free, appropriate public education, including public preschool, as provided to other children and youth.
What this provides/offers students?
- Immediate public school enrollment
- Expedited school records transfer
- School stability & right to attend school-of-origin
- Free lunch and breakfast program
- Support for academic success
- Student centered, best interest decision-making
- District Liaison
- Inter-agency Coordination (Local & State)
Homeless children and youth are minors who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence. Some instances will be clear, others will require a judgment call on the part of the liaison.
Four Living Situations::
- In shelter or transitional housing
- Unsheltered (inadequate, substandard or overcrowded housing; camping; on streets, in cars)
- In Motels, Hotels
- Sharing Housing due to economic hardships (includes awaiting foster care, living with friends or relatives due to loss of housing e.g. in a garage or on couch)
Sharing Housing: Doubled up in housing of others due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason. Questions could include...
- Why did this family move in together? Was it planned? mutual benefit, or sharing expenses?
- How permanent is the arrangement?
- Is it fixed, regular, and adequate?
Substandard Housing (Unsheltered)
- Is the dwelling declared unfit for habitation
- Inoperable indoor plumbing in kitchen or bathroom
- Absent, inadequate and or unsafe electrical service
- Inadequate or unsafe source of heat
- Overcrowded: defined by US Census as more than 1.5 people per livable room (excludes kitchen and bathroom)
- HUD's Public Housing Quality Standards mandate no more than 2 persons per bedroom.
- Unaccompanied Youth: runaway, abandoned and/or unsupervised youth
- A referral is made
- District Liaison will get the facts of specific case
- District Liaison will analyze the facts (Is the living situation listed in the McKinney Vento definition? is the living situation another kind of situation that is not fixed, regular or adequate?
- District Liaison will complete necessary eligibility paperwork with the family and support with services as offered.